Sunday, July 10

God and Cafes

I've been searching for cafes with free wifi. Yesterday I was at Cambridge Coffee in a booming strip mall district in Alpharetta, Georgia. However, their wifi was spotty at best. Today, I'm right down the street at a Port City Java spitting distance from my folks' house. When you're in Georgia you use words like folks apparently. Today's wireless is everything it should be, strong and clear. The similarities in the two places are that both include tables of people talking about god. Yesterday was a women's group trusting in god to make their marriages better. Today it's a father and two sons, one named Roman. He's lecturing them about what god will do or take away from you. And I quote the father, "If you see a homeless person lying on the street and you don't give them money what does this mean? It means that one day god might take away all your money." He asks the kids questions, when the younger one resonds with elaborate stories the father continually says, "now, don't get carried away." Right, because god doesn't like you to have an imagination either.

Now I know I'm coming across as all high and mighty. No, I don't have kids. I have no idea how I will teach them about what I think is right and wrong. Sure, I think the 10 commandments are a good set of rules, but I'm not going to present them as these things that "god said to moses." This man is continually using scare tactics on 10 and 12 year old kids. Ugh.

4 comments:

Nate said...

The ten commandments have always amused me. They seem like common sense rules to me, except numbers 1 thru 3, so do they really need to be sent down from god. It's kind of like the instructions on a windshield shade that instructs you not to put it in place while driving. Duh. Oh, and can someone tell me what it means to bear false witness against thy neighbor?

Unknown said...

I am sure you don't really want to know what the bear false witness thing means...because I am a reformed former bible person and I could tell you...
Emily, my upbringing was rife with lectures to put the fear of god in us~must be a religious thing the world over.

Nate said...

There's no need to give the bible-thumping extended version; the simple explanation would suffice. ;)

Suzanne said...

Isn't Alpharetta one of those suburbs populated by the religious right? I'm actually impressed that the dad told the kid to help the homeless. Usually they call the police on them in Republican towns like that.