Saturday, November 22

Just when I was beginning to have faith...

Remember how last year my group of Higher Level students stole tests from my room, made copies and distributed them, causing me to have to do a TON more work??? Well, this year, our relationship was evolving. I had regained trust in them and was enjoying them.

Then, I get very sick. I stay home, trusting that they'll take their test with the sub. Then I get this email from my department head:

I understood from your substitute that a group of students, seeing that you are not there, just left the room. This is the reason you will find less tests to mark.


I have just 4 out of 10 to mark. FOUR! Of those missing 6, only 2 have gotten in touch with me. One told me she skipped the morning knowing she wasn't prepared. Another was "stuck in traffic because his car still doesn't have the snow tires on it."

Oh, so angry. Apparently they've all already been rounded up and put on Saturday school. Then they'll be coming in to see me after school to take the test. Now the question is, and I think it must be, that they get a different version, which I must write. Two versions never end up being equal in difficulty, want to guess which version will end up harder...

Mean, a bit, but have I mentioned I'm angry.

3 comments:

mama pajama said...

Mean? Hell, no! I'm sorry you have to make another test, but do NOT feel any guilt about making it harder. You reap what you sow, in any language/culture.

Mickey said...

Yeah, that's not mean. That's perfectly just.

What's the deal with these kids? Good thing we've got those four to lean on in the future.

aggie94 said...

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you just walk out on a test, why don't you get an automatic big fat ZERO?