Wednesday, February 6

Grocery Store Foibles

Did I spell foibles right? Is it even a word? Who knows, I obviously don't.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post random grocery/food buying stories for a while now and while I sit waiting for a student who has been absent and said she was coming to see me I'll add them here.

An alternative title for this post could have been the $60 shrimp. Yes, that's right, I went to the grocery store one day and thought I was going to pay $8 for a 1 kg (2.2 lb) bag of frozen shrimp. Not so terrible. While I was checking out, I noticed that the price suddenly jumped, but I was busy collecting all my groceries back in my basket to then later take to the lockers were my bags were to pack. The total was really high - about $90 - for what I had bought, however, my Russian is not good enough to go through the items and argue. It was only upon packing up the bags and looking at the receipt that I discovered that my $8 bag of shrimp was actually $60!!! I haven't been back to the store yet to see if I just looked at the wrong tag or if the price was listed per 100 grams. Nonetheless, I was pissed. But you can bet your ass, I will be enjoying every single one of those shrimp.

I have more foibles to add, but I fear if I don't post this now, I'll never get around to it.

1 comment:

Mickey said...

You'll have to tell us (or maybe just me) what you end up doing with the shrimp. I sure hope it's good.

Yes, foibles is a word.

Good god, $30 a pound? And they're not magical shrimp that do choreographed dance numbers and sing? Or are at least dipped in gold? What a rip.